Carbon Credit Statistician
Indigo is reinventing the way the world cultivates its food and fiber. By harnessing beneficial microbes and digital technologies, Indigo enables growers to produce higher quality harvests that both enhance the surrounding ecosystem and improve human health. Indigo then connects these growers to buyers who seek differentiated products. To build a more beneficial agriculture, Indigo enables farmers to reliably earn more profit, to sustainably feed billions of people, and to dramatically improve the planet we live on. The company is headquartered in Boston, MA, with additional offices in Memphis, TN, Research Triangle Park, NC, Sydney, Australia, Buenos Aires, Argentina, and São Paulo, Brazil. www.indigoag.com
Systems Innovation is the idea factory for Indigo. We are an interdisciplinary team of business, science, and technology professionals that drive radical change in agriculture through new systems of farming.
To develop and deploy these systems, we:
- Identify, create, evaluate, and accelerate new opportunities that span technological and business innovations. We drive these innovations.
- Draw inspiration from our own diverse experiences but are always seeking perspectives from a broader ecosystem of internal and external stakeholders.
- Establish a strategic vision but are not afraid to get in the weeds on operationalizing a new business unit.
- Set ambitious goals and stretch our limits but take the time to pause and reflect on our work.
The role of Carbon Credit Statistician will develop the statistical strategy and algorithms underlying Indigo’s world-leading carbon credit market for agriculture and pastureland. Crucial to that carbon credit market is developing a scalable way to measure changes in soil carbon and trace gas emissions. This role will research and implement ways to more efficiently choose where to take soil samples, for example by stratifying regions and fields using remote sensing, soil surveys, and previous measurements. This data scientist will also research and implement tools for estimating carbon credits generated (using the statistics of sampling and polling) and for estimating how much each grower contributed to sequestration of carbon dioxide (using statistical inference and results of biogeochemical models).
- Develop the overall statistical strategy and algorithms underlying Indigo’s world-leading carbon credit market for agriculture and pastureland
- Build relationships with key stakeholders in relevant teams (Carbon, Agronomy, Field Data Solutions, GeoInnovation, Indigo Research Partners, Business Intelligence, etc.), and collaborate with these teams to develop data pipelines for carbon measurement and for tracking the journey of data
- Implement the statistical estimation of the greenhouse gas and soil carbon impact of a cropland field or pasture using soil samples and predictions made with a biogeochemical model on a representative subset of fields; write tests and hand off to Engineering team to productionize.
- Build power analyses for carbon sampling based on simulations, literature, and preliminary data
- Contribute to developing the strategy for translating modeled soil carbon and greenhouse gas emissions changes to grower payments
- Build compelling data visualizations to communicate key results and projections to a variety of audiences (scientific, corporate, growers, etc.).
- Support the implementation of pre- and post-stratification of growers and fields
- Contribute to developing the strategy for the next generation of multi-stage sampling design for carbon credits
- Highly collaborative - able to work across functions
- Comfortable with large data sets
- Creative problem solver; when faced with incomplete data or an obstacle to interpretation, able to find ways to generate insights
- Strong communication skills; able to communicate complex statistical concepts in simple language and with beautiful visualizations of data
- Can prioritize effectively among competing priorities
- Comfortable with ambiguity and creating clarity in ambiguous situations
- Ability to meet deadlines, sometimes challenging ones
- Able to complete all tasks, even menial ones, with a positive attitude
- Passionate about Indigo’s mission
- 3+ years’ work experience in a data science capacity required
- MS/PhD in statistics or related discipline required
- Experience with statistics of sampling and polling required
- Familiar with one or more of the following areas of statistics required: experimental design, polling and sampling (e.g., stratified sampling), multilevel regression and post stratification
- Proficient in programming in SQL, Git, and either Python or R required
- Familiarity with business intelligence platforms like Looker preferred
- This role is based in Boston, MA
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically “creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow.” As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.