Business Intelligence Engineer at Indigo
What if nature could be harnessed to help farmers sustainably feed the planet? Since 2014, Indigo has questioned agriculture's full value chain to improve grower profitability, environmental sustainability, and consumer health. The company’s scientific discoveries and digital innovations have amplified new value from soil to sale, benefiting more than 10,000 growers to date. Indigo is also the company behind The Terraton Initiative, a global effort to drawdown one trillion tons of atmospheric carbon dioxide by unlocking the potential of agricultural soils. In 2019, Indigo was ranked #1 on CNBC’s Disruptor 50 list. Headquartered in Boston, MA, Indigo has additional offices in Memphis, TN; Research Triangle Park, NC; Sydney, Buenos Aires, Argentina; Basel, Switzerland; and São Paulo, Brazil.
The Business Intelligence Engineer will collaborate with a small team of peers to build and scale an enterprise reporting platform that drives analytics throughout the company. Employing a range of technical, analytical, and interpersonal skills, the BI Engineer will translate requests for information into reporting requirements and business definitions, learn how the datasets relate to each other, and develop tools that enable stakeholders to explore, visualize, and find insights in the data. They will also be empowered to coordinate projects spanning multiple teams, influence platform design and governance, and support the development of business intelligence analysts.
- Translates business concepts into technical definitions and empowers business stakeholders by making relevant data accessible via the Looker platform.
- Manages projects efficiently, proactively communicates roadblocks and recommends solutions
- Contributes thoughtfully to BI platform design, documentation, and best practices via Looker, Confluence and Github.
- Fosters relationships with peers, business stakeholders, and technical subject-matter experts in order to anticipate data needs and opportunities for platform enhancements
- Delivers ad hoc support and ongoing instruction to BI platform users across the company
- Builds intuitive datasets in close alignment with the Data Warehouse team
- Writes and implements code that is clear, concise, tested, and easily understood by others
- Performs code reviews following internal standards and best practices
- Strong problem-solving skills, with a pragmatic approach to addressing challenges
- Accurately assesses and communicates the risks and limitations of a given dataset
- Effectively translates technical complexity to business end-users, and business needs to software engineers
- Negotiates timelines and builds consensus among groups with competing priorities
- Identifies and engages the right stakeholders on a given project
- Writes concise and thorough documentation
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and/or 3+ years of experience in data modeling, data engineering, or BI analytics.
- Fluency in SQL, any dialect
- Experience investigating applications or datasets to understand underlying data structures or working with data models, for example, interpreting or designing Entity-Relationship Diagrams (ERDs)
- Proficiency with data analysis and visualization
- Experience with agile software development teams or methods
Indigo is committed to living our values, specifically creating a work environment where everyone feels respected, connected, and has opportunities to learn and grow. As part of living our values, we strive to create a diverse and inclusive work environment where everyone feels they can be themselves and has an equal opportunity of succeeding.