Business Intelligence Architect
Business Intelligence Architect
Boston or Springfield, MA
Data Management & Architecture
Do you want to be part of a team that encourages your growth, supports your ambitions and makes it a priority for you to reach your goals? Is helping people part of who you are? At MassMutual, we help millions of people find financial freedom, offer financial protection and plan for the future. We do this by building trust with our customers by being knowledgeable problem solvers and prioritize their needs above all else. We Live Mutual.
If this sounds like a fit, we’re looking to hire a Business Intelligence Architect to join our Corporate Finance data and analytics team.
Why we need you.
We’re growing and our clients deserve the best. As a Business Intelligence Architect, you’ll have an opportunity to work with a cross functional team of finance business leads and report developers and engineers to design the reporting schema and metrics layer to enable end-user dashboards and reports from our AWS cloud-based data management platform. The primary objective of the data management platform is to onboard, process and serve MassMutual’s corporate finance data to enable MassMutual CFO data strategy.
The Business Intelligence architect is a core engineering role within the data-management team of the CFO organization and is charged with designing and deploying the schema-layer and the metrics-layer to enable user-friendly dashboards and reports. The Business Intelligence architect must bring deep technical expertise in business intelligence platforms and must be well-versed in database design and SQL.
The Business Intelligence architect’s primary responsibility is to design and deploy a comprehensive schema-layer and metrics-layers and map it to the underlying physical data model to enable complex, aesthetically appealing user-friendly dashboards and reports. In this role, as well as all roles within MassMutual, you will demonstrate accountability, agility, a dedication to be inclusive, a strong business acumen, and will show courage, even in the most difficult situations. We also highly value strong communication skills, a passion for learning, leadership traits, resilience and self-awareness.
What success looks like.
- Design and deploy a comprehensive schema-layer and metrics-layer to support all Corporate Finance dashboards and reports
- Hands-on experience in MicroStrategy administration and deployment – experience in Tableau a plus
- Hands-on experience in MicroStrategy schema-layer creation - experience in Tableau a plus
- Collaborate with report engineers to design and develop dashboards & reports end-to-end – from inception through deployment in production
- Collaborate in constructing wire-frames to elicit aesthetically pleasing reports & dashboards design
- Exhibit some of key MassMutual core competencies as below:
- Accountability: Earn confidence and trust by demonstrating ownership, commitment and follow-through in achieving results.
- Agility: Manage priorities effectively and adapt quickly to achieve goals.
- Business Acumen: Build a deep understanding of business to guide decisions and actions that support strategy.
- Communication: Inform and influence others clearly, timely and appropriately.
- Courage: Are not afraid to speak up when it matters, ask tough questions, make decisions and/or admit when help is needed.
- Development: Exhibit curiosity and pursue learning opportunities.
What your days and weeks will include.
- Work with report engineers in iterative design by factoring end-user feedbacks
- Validate every report metric using SQL against the underlying database
- Ensure dashboards & reports meet and deliver the business requirements
- Ensure reports have aesthetically appealing design
- Ensure dashboards & reports are tuned for optimal performance per the accepted guidelines
- Ensure the integrity of the underlying data is properly reflected in the dashboards and reports
- Ensure appropriate design best-practices are in place – in terms of end-user prompts and intuitive navigation
- Collaborate with the data-engineering team to design underlying database schemas as needed
- Publish best practices across the report writing community
- Be a trusted Business Intelligence architect for reporting and analytics community
- Collaborate with business analysts to prioritize business use-cases and deliver on them
- Follow agile development methodology to deliver timely solution
- Follow CICD (continuous-integration and deployment) pipeline to ensure seamless migration across development, QA and production environments
- Review the underlying data model periodically to suggest appropriate data model changes towards building better performing reports
The skills that make you a great fit.
- 8-10 years of experience
- 5-8 years of experience schema-layer design and development – preferably in MicroStrategy
- 3-5 years of experience in business-intelligence reporting platform administration and deployment – preferably in MicroStrategy
- Hands-on experience for a minimum of 5 years in advanced SQL
- Experienced in data modeling principles
- Experienced in enabling and supporting business analysts in complex dashboard builds
- Deep proficiency in data architecture and data management principles – traditional RDBMS, MPP appliances, columnar repositories and distributed-data technologies
- Experienced in agile & waterfall project-management methodologies
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal)
- Authorized to work in the US without sponsorship now, and in the future
Advanced degree in Computer Science preferred