Hopper is the smart way to book travel on your phone. Combining massive amounts of data and advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper predicts and analyzes airfare and accommodation to save users money and enable them to travel more often.
Since its launch in 2015, Hopper has become one of the fastest growing travel apps ever with over 25 million installs to date. It is now the most downloaded flights booking app in North America and travelers have booked hundreds of millions of dollars in flights and hotels around the world using Hopper.
The app has received accolades such as Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company in Travel 2018, the Google Play Award for Standout Startup of 2016, and Apple’s App Store Best of 2015.
We’re looking for a data-savvy individual to join our Data Science team as a BI Lead to design and build a data environment that is robust, high-quality, and blazingly performant. You’ll work with a highly skilled and motivated team and your efforts and expertise will have a direct impact on framing and solving some of the most challenging problems in mobile commerce at a scale and complexity that few organizations can match.
You care deeply about formalism & correctness; you have strong software and data modeling skills. Data is at the core of what we do at Hopper, both in providing data-driven travel advice to our users, and in analyzing our user behavior to improve the product experience and enable us to best manage our business.
In this role you will:
- Work closely with business stakeholders and product teams to understand requirements and ensure reports and dashboards support Hopper’s analytics community in data-driven decision making.
- Manage a team to design and develop metrics, reports, and dashboards to drive key business and product decisions.
- Collaborate with our engineering team to implement the data architecture and design.
- Design high-performance database schemas and optimize SQL queries to support business analyst and data science needs.
- Establish, maintain and document high data quality standards in our core data pipelines, datasets and databases.
- Interface with large, distributed NoSQL databases.
- Investigate data anomalies to troubleshoot data inconsistencies, and discover interesting trends in user behavior.
A qualified candidate has:
- University degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information technology, Mathematics or Statistics
- Experience building large scale reporting systems with high performance, great usability and highly satisfied customers.
- Experience gathering business requirements, formulating metrics and building reports.
- Experience with designing and building large scale data pipelines in distributed environments with technologies such as Hadoop, Cassandra, Kafka, Spark, HBase, etc.
- Understanding of data architectures, relational and nonrelational database concepts, data warehouses, data modeling and application implementations
- Backend development experience with Scala, Java, Python, unix shell scripting
- Experience with AWS or Google Cloud Platform a plus
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Well-funded and proven startup with larger ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Dynamic and entrepreneurial team where pushing limits is everyday business
- Access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, all on us
- In Cambridge, work in a historic factory building near Kendall Square; in Montreal, work in an artist’s loft in the Mile End
- Easy commute with a paid-for public transportation or paid parking
- IATA Travel Agent Card for discounts in the travel industry
- Fully stocked kitchen with: coffee/tea, beer, bagels and healthy snacks
- Team lunches, off-site activities and much more!