The Associate Actuary, Analytics/Forecasting analyzes and forecasts financial, economic, and other data to provide accurate and timely information for strategic and operational decisions. Establishes metrics, provides data analyses, and works directly to support business intelligence. Evaluates industry, economic, financial, and market trends to forecast the organization's short, medium and long-term financial and competitive position. The Associate Actuary, Analytics/Forecasting work assignments involve moderately complex to complex issues where the analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
On the Risk Analytics team within the Actuarial and Underwriting department, you will help Humana’s employer group segment grow sustainably, allowing Humana to help members achieve lifelong well-being!
In this particular role, you’ll be responsible for projections, analyses, and implementation activities related to the predictive risk models that we use to develop an actuarially sound estimate of future claims for existing and prospective group customers. You’ll need to investigate potential issues with the models, analyze opportunities for improvement in the models themselves and in their use, as well as help project cost and ROI associated with Humana’s investment in these models.
Familiarity with how predictive models work is important for this role, as is the ability to creatively and practically address business problems and opportunities related to these models. You’ll be part of a team of actuaries and other analytically minded teammates intent on innovation, learning, and constantly improving business results!
In addition, the Associate Actuary will:
- Combine large, disparate data sources together in a manner that allows us to build and monitor predictive models.
- Measure and monitor the accuracy of predictive models, and will work with IT and business partners to bring them into production.
- Build new predictive models or adjust existing ones under the advisement of experienced predictive modelers.
A successful candidate will not only have strong analytic aptitude to dive into the data, perform adjustments, and understand what it is saying but will also exhibit curiosity and creativity, learning new things regularly and coming up with innovate approaches to solving business problems using analytics.
- Strong communication skills
- Experience distilling results for presentation to leadership
- Able to apply judgment to simplify problem and determine the right problem to solve
Able to troubleshoot complex processes.
- Proficient in R, Python, or SAS
- Experience querying databases and working with "messy" data
- Experienced in monitoring, using, or implementing predictive models
- Bachelor's Degree
- Associate of Society of Actuaries (ASA) designation
- Meets eligibility requirements for Humana's Actuarial Professional Development Program (APDP)
- Familiarity with how predictive models work and things to watch out for with them
- Familiarity with risk adjustment or other medical-claims-based predictive models
- Familiarity with Hadoop, Spark, or Microsoft Azure
- Open to work-at-home and any Humana office location
- Hiring manager is in Waukesha, WI.