Technical Writer, Documentation Operations at Unity Technologies
The Documentation team at Unity is growing and we’re looking for a technical writer or editor to join us on our mission to deliver great docs to our users. You might be an experienced technical writer with an interest in technology or an editor with experience in software development.
You’ll be working in the Documentation Operations team, which stands up for users by unifying the docs and supporting anyone that writes the docs.
Whatever your background, you'll be a great technical writer / editor at Unity if you have:
- A passion for writing, language and communication
- A good understanding of technology and an affinity for computer science
- The ability to learn new technologies quickly and simplify complexity
The Docs team is made up of people from a variety of backgrounds, including technical authoring, game development, content management, and web copywriting. There’s no set path to becoming a good technical writer or editor, so we’re not concerned about specific university degrees or experience; if you have the above skills, then we can teach you anything you need to know. And if you bring considerable skills and experience, then we want to learn from you too.
When you join us, you’ll work collaboratively with developers and writers across the globe to produce great documentation that simplifies, explains, and empowers users to get the most from Unity products. This includes a mix of writing from scratch, revising draft documents supplied by developers, editing documentation produced by other writers, and overhauling legacy content.
You’ll be part of a talented, dynamic team of technical writers, editors, content managers and information architects working across countries and timezones to support a passionate, growing community of developers and artists (around 1 million Docs visitors per month).
- Write clear, concise documentation containing plenty of working examples and illustrations
- Edit and review technical documentation to support software releases
- Gather, edit and publish subject-specific knowledge from subject matter experts and developers
- Support development teams to deliver high-quality technical content within a fast-paced software release schedule
- Write and maintain internal templates, standards and our in-house style guide (based on the Microsoft Writing Style Guide) to create clear and reusable content
- Help a globally distributed team improve the documentation user experience for our amazing community
- Champion the role and importance of documentation within Unity and across the writing community
- Experience working as a technical writer, editor, content manager or similar. We also welcome applications from people with a technical background and a passion for writing who are looking for a new career path
- Experience editing, writing and publishing user-facing content for an international audience
- Excellent computing skills, ideally with an understanding of programming
- Impeccable standard of written and spoken English
- Experience delivering results under tight deadlines
- Passion for gaming or interest in the technology industry
- Knowledge or experience of programming languages, especially C#
- Experience producing documentation using HTML/CSS, Markdown or XML
- Understanding of source control tools (e.g. github, Mercurial) and techniques
- Experience of using issue trackers such as JIRA to track project tasks
Some travel may be required between Unity offices around the world (San Francisco, Seattle, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Asia) and to some major industry events.
Who We Are
Unity is the creator of the world’s leading real-time 3D development platform, giving users the most powerful and accessible tools to create, operate, and monetize experiences for the real-time world. Unity empowers anyone, regardless of skill level and industry, to create 3D visual content using world-class technology, operate using resources that maximize ease-of-use, and monetize, so that they can find success with their creations. The company’s 1,000 person development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners such as Google, Facebook, Oculus, Autodesk, and Microsoft to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Made with Unity experiences reach nearly 3 billion devices worldwide and have been installed more than 34 billion times in the last 12 months. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.