Technical Instructor/Instructional Designer (Independent Contractor) at Skillsoft
Technical Instructor/Instructional Designer (Independent Contractor)
At Skillsoft, we are all about making work matter. We believe every team member has the potential to be AMAZING. We are bold, sharp, driven and most of all, real. Join us in our quest to democratize learning and help individuals unleash their edge.
The Technical Instructor acts as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in producing IT content, including the creation, instruction, and support of the content. Technical Instructors are experts in their field who are responsible for the development and delivery of web-based instructional content via several different modalities, such as virtual live training classrooms, recorded studio training, and written and electronic communications in support of the Skillsoft product lines.
Deliver web-based, synchronous (real-time) training on a variety of technologies, including one or more of the following areas:
Programming Languages - Python, .NET, Java, C++
Robotic Process Automation
CloudOps - AWS, Azure, GCP
- Prepare for and pass assigned certification exams as needed
- Maintain professional certifications, which served as the basis for Skillsoft's engagement
- Create effective Technology & Developer instructional content that conforms to prescribed standards
- This is a virtual engagement, hence, instructors should have the appropriate accommodations, closely aligned with the following:
- Private studio that is a closed off workspace. Typically, a smaller room will help reduce acoustic noises.
- Soundproofing to ensure that sound does not travel in and out of the studio while they are recording (e.g. traffic, construction)
- Acoustic treatment to ensure that sound reflections within the studio are dampened (e.g. echoing)
- Noise canceling mic, which provides a natural and rich sound and is comfortable to where for extends periods of time. Our preferred mic is the MMX 300 manufactured by Beyerdynamic
- Windows machine with Office and Camtasia are preferred, although we do have some instructors using MACs.
- Quiet keyboard and mouse, so that clicking, and taps are not picked up by the mic.
- Given high-level objectives, determine the scope of designated curricula, generate course/lesson/topic breakdowns, and author assessments, exercises, and descriptive metadata
- Support the creation of content used in the delivery
- Review and revise instructional content, including the quality assurance of content created by others
- Provide certified subject matter expertise for a variety of content development initiatives
- Conduct on-going research and development on specific discipline areas and utilize this information to enhance the student's learning experience
Collaboration with team members to ensure consistent and high-quality plans and end products
- Demonstrated proficiency in the development and delivery of training/facilitated learning
- Prior experience in an educational or technology-based organization is ideal
- Instructor training experience is an asset
- Experience in a fast-paced environment is also beneficial in this challenging position
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Must be willing to pursue additional training and certifications as requested
- Excellent writing and communication skills required
- Ability to contribute in a team-oriented environment, exhibiting cooperation and team spirit, is necessary
- Flexibility and adaptability in both action and thought are necessary
- Ability to embrace continuous change and exhibit the adaptability to work within demanding deadlines
- Strong time management and organizational skills, attention to detail, and initiative
- Well-developed problem-solving skills are a necessity
- Deadline driven
Working Hours: Hours assigned on a per project basis, with project specific milestones
Application Deadline: N/A
Application Requirements: In the field reserved for the Cover Letter, please copy and paste from the above list of technologies, which you're qualified to instruct. If you have subjects that are not listed, you may include them separately noting Additional Skillsets. Example submission as follows:
MORE ABOUT SKILLSOFT:
Skillsoft delivers online learning, training, and talent solutions to help organizations unleash their edge. Leveraging immersive, engaging content, Skillsoft enables organizations to unlock the potential in their best assets – their people – and build teams with the skills they need for success. Empowering 36 million learners and counting, Skillsoft democratizes learning through an intelligent learning experience and a customized, learner-centric approach to skills development with resources for Leadership Development, Business Skills, Technology & Development, Digital Transformation, and Compliance.
Skillsoft and SumTotal are partners to thousands of leading global organizations, including many Fortune 500 companies. The company features three award-winning systems that support learning, performance and success: Skillsoft learning content, the Percipio intelligent learning experience platform, and the SumTotal suite for Talent Development, which offers measurable impact across the entire employee lifecycle. Learn more at www.skillsoft.com.
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about us.
If this opportunity intrigues you, we would love for you to apply!
NOTE TO EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES: We value the partnerships we have built with our preferred vendors. Skillsoft does not accept unsolicited resumes from employment agencies. All resumes submitted by employment agencies directly to any Skillsoft employee or hiring manager in any form without a signed Skillsoft Employment Agency Agreement on file and search engagement for that position will be deemed unsolicited in nature. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is subsequently hired as a result of the referral or through other means.
Skillsoft is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer: It is the policy of Skillsoft Corporation to provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability (mental or physical), protected veteran status, genetic information or any other class protected by law.