Principal technical writers create critical how-tos, tutorials, product documentation, and other resources for the Klaviyo customer base. In addition, they manage the structure, information architecture, and overall presentation of these resources. The Academy team’s mission is to enable our customers to grow their businesses through self-serve content, so you’ll be playing a foundational role in helping both Klaviyo and its customers achieve business goals.
As a principal technical writer at Klaviyo, you’ll cultivate an understanding of our customers and their needs, learn how e-commerce businesses work inside and out, translate that into content that helps our customers grow, and ensure that this content is delivered to customers at the right stage in their lifecycle.
A successful candidate has a strong background in customer success and understands how to translate complex concepts into digestible, easy-to-follow content. You know how to use data to drive decisions around how to use content to solve for the customer experience. You also know how to troubleshoot customer issues and generate solutions that allow customers to self serve. You’ll be part of the Academy team and report to Klaviyo’s Manager of Academy.
Here are some specific things you’ll do as a technical writer:
- Manage the end-to-end documentation process for feature launches. You’ll work closely with the Product team to prepare the documentation for all feature launches, large and small. This may also require you to collaborate with other members of the Academy team, success engineers, product marketing, and more.
- Identify content gaps. Hone your research and interview skills to identify documentation and guide needs by working with internal stakeholders, customers, and conducting independent data analysis.
- Publish content. Produce a variety of content, including but not limited to how-to articles, long-form tutorials, and videos to help our customers understand the business and product elements that can be brought together to bring them success.
- Project manage improvements to our Help Center. You’ll be responsible for working cross-functionally to ensure that our website and information architecture are optimized and cohesive, creating a frictionless experience for customers and enabling them to self-serve answers to their questions.
- Monitor performance. You’ll be responsible for measuring the performance of our content—what’s resonating, what’s reducing support tickets, what has a high CSAT rating—and you’ll use data to help make recommendations about what content we should create, as well as long term projects we should take on to improve the customer experience.
Getting Started / Key Outcomes
In your first 30 days, you’ll have:
- Come up to speed on our audience, market, product, and company
- Spoken to at least 10 current customers
- Reviewed and analyzed our core team metrics, and identified areas of opportunity
Within 60 days, you’ll have:
- Put together and presented a project plan to address how we are going to achieve team and company goals as they relate to self-serve resources hosted on the Help Center
- Established a calendar and system for prioritizing the content you work on
- Developed familiarity with Klaviyo’s CMS systems and how they work
In the first year, you’ll have:
- Grown the base of customers using our Help Center
- Improved our Help Center CSAT
- Measurably reduced support tickets
- Improved Klaviyo’s self-serve score
- You bring a customer-first mindset to everything you do.
- You have excellent overall writing skills in a number of different styles/tones and for varying audiences, and impeccable spelling and grammar.
- You have a passion for learning and an ability to take complex information and turn it into engaging, easy-to-understand instructions.
- You deeply enjoy helping customers achieve their business goals by creating content that makes an impact.
- You can see the big picture and understand how to use content to achieve company goals.
- You have a proven track record in maintaining the information architecture and content management system for a help site.
Get to know Klaviyo
Klaviyo is a world-leading marketing automation platform dedicated to accelerating revenue and customer connection for online businesses using the channels they own like email, web and mobile. Enabling brands to leverage these owned marketing channels, Klaviyo makes it easy to store, access, analyze and use transactional and behavioral data to power highly-targeted customer and prospect communications. The company’s hybrid customer-data and marketing-platform model allows companies to grow by fostering direct, high-fidelity relationships with customers, without giving up their valuable data to Facebook or Amazon. In 2020, Klaviyo reached coveted unicorn status with a robust Series C of $200m at $4.15B valuation. Innovative companies like Unilever, Custom Ink, and Huckberry sell more with Klaviyo. Learn more at www.klaviyo.com.
Klaviyo does not tolerate and prohibits discrimination, harassment or retaliation of or against job applicants, contractors, interns, volunteers or employees by another employee, supervisor, vendor, customer or any third party.