Discover your dog more than fur deep with the most comprehensive DNA test on the market. Designed by world leaders in dog genetics, in partnership with Cornell University, the Embark DNA Test tells owners what breeds make up their pets, how to prevent future possible health problems, and what features and traits their pet might have. Help us end preventable disease in dogs and improve the lives of pets and their people through genomics.
Embark is the only dog DNA test using a research-grade DNA microarray, letting us give our customers the most accurate and comprehensive results on the market. More importantly, it allows us to do ongoing research into the genetics of dogs, which are a fantastic population for genetic discovery due to selective breeding over time. Our research focuses on mapping new traits and diseases, improving personalized veterinary medicine, and developing new breeding programs to eliminate preventable diseases in pets.
Interested in joining? We're looking for highly motivated and driven talent who will help us stay on the cutting edge of creativity and innovation in the fast-growing consumer genetics space.
We are looking for a Freelance Writer to write very high-quality long-form articles for our website about dog-related topics. In this position, you will receive article assignments (quantity to be determined based on your availability) from our content manager that may include specific details we want to be incorporated and specific SEO keywords we want to be targeted. You will then research the topic and write a strong article, submitting it to us for revision and eventual publication.
This is a deadline-driven job, so you should be well organized and have excellent time management skills. Since this is a freelance position, we will pay $150-300 per piece, depending on length. Our ideal applicant has several years of writing experience and a portfolio that demonstrates excellence in your craft and a passion for dog-related fields and technical content. A Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or creative writing is preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive article topics with corresponding details from our content manager
- Research the topic
- Research additional SEO keywords for the topic
- Within 1 week, write a draft of the article to submit
- Refine article based on feedback from the content manager
- Final output is expected to be very high quality e.g., suitable to publish in the New York Times
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, or creative writing (preferred)
- Several years of writing experience developing content that drives strong engagement with consumers.
- Portfolio of past work
- Organizational and time management skills
- Computer proficiency
- Experience with dog-related fields and technical content
- Ability to synthesize scientific data into digestible articles for a variety of end consumers
- Expert knowledge of AP style and ability to adapt to Embark Brand and voice guidelines
- Love of dog puns and the Oxford comma
Embark is an equal opportunity workplace and values diversity at our company. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship status, sexual orientation, age, disability status, marital status, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local laws. See also EEO is the Law.