edX Copy Writer - Contract
edX, a Cambridge-based non-profit, is dedicated to growing access to high-quality online education to everyone, everywhere. It’s a big job - think internationalization, accessibility, and usability - and we’re looking for someone passionate about the challenge of building excellent experiences at scale. We’re starting off contract but may go full time.
We’re backed by Harvard and MIT and located in the heart of Kendall Square.
We like doing cool stuff and we GSD.
The culture at edX is casual and collaborative. Experience team members are embedded into larger, cross-functional teams with product and engineering. Our agile workflow and embedded structure allows us to have a lot of influence and craft decisions about what to build for learners. We do our own research with learners.
We are looking for an experienced contract writer who
- Is a versatile writer, creating sharp marketing copy (web, email, social, and print)
- Develops UI copy for interfaces, site messaging, errors, notifications, and more
- Creates Microcopy and instructional copy
- Helps develop a coherent and defined voice and tone
- Starts establishing the content strategy
What your day-to-day looks like
- Collaborate with stakeholders to create an inventory of copy needs
- Offer up your recommendations for how to address and prioritize needs
- Develop recommendations for voice and tone - think everything from inspirational messaging to navigational labeling
- Manage and prioritize multiple projects and stakeholders simultaneously
- Start building out copy development guidelines from the macro to the micro
- Work with colleagues to experiment and create great experiences with solid copy and messaging
- Support the creation of email campaigns and marketing collateral for new product offerings
- Conduct user research with your fellow Experience Team members
What you’ll bring
- Have at least 2-4 years of professional experience in the software/design/digital world (agency is nice!); experience writing for global markets is awesome!
- A portfolio of at least 3 varying work samples that showcase your writing skills
- Experience managing stakeholders and editorial calendars
- Project Management skills to manage a few streams of work (and their stakeholders) and deadlines at any given time
- A flexible mindset - you roll with changes and can respond to new inputs, business needs, and the occasional emergency
- Well-developed eye for business - you ask good questions, engage in critical thinking and understand how to balance business needs, user needs in a practical and effective way
- Happy to talk through your thinking, your processes, and to show us your work
- Bachelor's Degree in English, Communications, Writing, Marketing, or Journalism, a combination of education and work experience, or equivalent professional experience
- Comfortable creating copy that is easily translated and designed for internationalization
- Open to continuing the contract beyond the initial time frame or possibly converting to a FTE
Must be willing to work in our Cambridge, MA office. Sorry, no Visa sponsorship available.