Sr Industrial Designer
Would you like to be imagining and designing the next generation of world class products for restaurants? Are you excited about designing a product used by thousands of diners and waiters, and delighting them with the experience? Are you passionate about rapid prototyping based on real time customer feedback? If you answered yes to these questions, it sounds like you could be a Toaster!
Toast is a rapidly growing startup building the first all-in-one restaurant management platform. Toast’s Android tablet based system helps restaurants operate more efficiently and connect with their customer base in new and innovative ways. We’re growing fast and have a customer base comprised of cafes, restaurants, bars and nightclubs across the country.
The Senior Industrial Designer will be accountable for creating an iconic hardware brand used at thousands of small merchants by millions of customers. This work will involve conducting in-depth user research and driving the development of a family of hardware products from mobile to stationary hardware devices from conceptualization, rapid prototyping and to see it through mass production.
You will collaboratively partner with Product Management, Customer Success, Marketing, Sales, Business Development, and Documentation to establish a iconic looking series of hardware products that touches upon every aspect of the user or customer journey. Additionally, you will be working closely with ODM’s engineering team on DFM and working through the constraints through the mass manufacturing process.
- Create an iconic hardware brand used at thousands of small merchants by millions of customers
- Lead design on all aspects of the physical experience, from concepts and prototypes all the way to production. This designer will work collaboratively within a team of user-interface, software and hardware engineers, marketing, product management and external vendors in creating a delightful product experience at the highest standards for our customers
- Produce sketches and renderings based on defined business goals, translating product strategy into design concepts that meet user requirements, brand strategy, and business objectives
- Enable prototypes to be used for internal review, usability testing, and customer demos.
- Able to visit to customers and vendors ( Domestically and Internationally) Less than 10% travel.
- 5+ years experience as an industrial designer, or extensive portfolio with shipped products
- Expert in manufacturing methods and use this knowledge to push design boundaries rather than create limitations. Experience in design for manufacture and CMF, have brought multiple products from concepts to mass manufacturing
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree, concentrating in industrial design, mechanical engineering or a related design field, such as architecture
- Understand and apply user-centered design processes and methodologies
- Proven teamwork ability. Great communication skills on delivering the design concept to each stakeholders. Know when you should push and when you should compromise
- Excellent sketching skills and the ability to quickly capture ideas
- Strong understanding of mechanical design, manufacturing and engineering requirements and constraints
- Experience in products that include hardware-software user experience
- Experience in consumer electronics and mobile industry
- Excellent in visualizing concepts using industry standard 2D and 3D tools such as: Photoshop/Illustrator, Rhino, Solidworks, Creo, Alias and Keyshot