Head of Finance and Operations
Who We Are
BookBub is one of the fastest growing consumer tech startups in Boston. Millions of readers use BookBub every day to find great books, and our service helps thousands of leading publishers and authors drive sales and find new fans. Connecting readers with great deals on ebooks is just the beginning for BookBub. We're growing our team to launch new consumer-facing book discovery features, tools for authors and publishers, and other web and mobile products that address the digital transition of the publishing industry.
BookBub seeks an experienced leader to be our Head of Finance and Operations, a newly created position reporting to the head of the company. The person who serves in this role will be in charge of leading and growing a nascent team that currently consists of four people, and is responsible for all finance, HR, and administrative aspects of the business. This individual will also serve as a critical member of the company's leadership team, helping shape top-level strategy,culture, and organizational processes.
The specific responsibilities of the team that this person will lead include:
- Forecasting, budgeting, monitoring, and helping drive key metrics and financial milestones across the entire organization
- Overseeing and executing on all accounting, bookkeeping, and financial control functions
- Managing relationships and setting expectations with various financial and service partners, and regularly reporting and presenting to members of the board
- Leading recruiting and hiring operations, and educating all managers and interviewers on best practices to ensure a great candidate experience and a rigorous screening process
- Establishing and running initiatives related to company culture, professional development, and employee support.
- Running all administrative, purchasing, information technology, and facility operations
Ideal Background of Candidates:
- Startup Experience: They should understand the unique financial and operational nuances of a rapidly growing organization where the one constant is change, thrive in an environment of ambiguity, and be capable of both leading and pitching in.
- Financial Management Background: They should have experience leading or working in a leadership role in a finance, operations, or FP&A department, have a solid understanding of financial accounting and forecasting, and have a love of data and financial modelling.
- Strong People Operations Skills: They should have a background in supporting an organization's recruiting, hiring, training, professional development, and general administrative initiatives, and have sophisticated instincts for handling nuanced employee situations and programs.
- Strategic Acumen: They should have strong experience in strategic business decision making, likely having an MBA, and a track record of improving company performance due to their insights, analysis and leadership.
- Management Skills: They should have managed a team before, be strong mentors, and know how to effect change in a 50+ person organization.
BookBub offers competitive benefit options including medical, dental, vision, 401k, and take-what-you-need PTO.
BookBub strives to be an inclusive workplace and we value learning from different perspectives. We seek to foster an environment filled with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.